Paletas heladas de chocolate
Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus 2–3 hours freezing time
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: about 30 paletas, depending on your mold
Paletas heladas, or ice pops (ice lollies), are quite popular in plazas and town squares in Mexico. They can be fruit based—with combinations such as mango and chile or cucumber and Key lime— or milk based, like this recipe. Chocolate is a decadent ingredient that feels fresh and bright when frozen. And Mexican chocolate is even richer, as it is ground straight from the bean along with sugar and cinnamon, sometimes with almonds or nuts. You can even combine a fruit base and a milk base by only filling the mold halfway with one base, letting it partially freeze, and topping it off with another base. This is a perfect dessert or treat to make ahead of time, so as not to worry about the day you are having people over.
© 2023 Enrique Olvera / Phaidon · Reproduced with permission. · Tu Casa Mi Casa by Enrique Olvera is published by Phaidon
- Rhona H. favorited Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 22 Aug 19:11
- Cindy S. favorited Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 03 Aug 14:54
- Kimya J. favorited Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 17 Jul 02:13
- Kevin Huggins commented on Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 16 Jul 05:04
- Kevin Huggins favorited Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 16 Jul 05:04
- Crafterella featured Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 15 Jul 23:00
- Pam favorited Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 15 Jul 16:26
- Phaidon published her project Mexican Chocolate Ice Pops 10 Jul 09:00
Bloom the gelatin by placing the sheets in enough ice water to cover them and let them rest until they become completely flexible, about 5 minutes. Drain. In a saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a boil. Add the bloomed gelatin, whisking constantly. Whisk until dissolved and remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir or whisk until incorporated. Let cool to room temperature.
Pour the mixture into an ice lolly mold, add sticks, and freeze until fully frozen, 2–3 hours. Remove from the mold and serve. You can keep the ice pops frozen for up to 1 month, as long as they are in an airtight container or bag.