Mastering the Basics: Baking
Light and crisp coffee-flavoured meringues with a delectable chocolate ganache filling, these sweet treats are perfect little bites to have with an afternoon coffee or to serve guests after dinner.
Tip: Keep in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days.
- Jessi D. added Espresso Meringue Kisses to Tasty 23 Dec 00:08
- carol & co. favorited Espresso Meringue Kisses 29 Aug 11:07
- Jasinta M. added Espresso Meringue Kisses to Sweet Tooth 09 Aug 13:53
- Suzi T. favorited Espresso Meringue Kisses 16 Jul 13:20
- Jessi D. favorited Espresso Meringue Kisses 07 Jul 22:56
- ale_corason favorited Espresso Meringue Kisses 04 Jul 05:25
- piefacetoldmeso favorited Espresso Meringue Kisses 04 Jul 00:04
- hannah g. favorited Espresso Meringue Kisses 03 Jul 11:25
- Murdoch Books published her project Espresso Meringue Kisses 25 Jun 15:31
Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/ Gas 2). Brush two large baking trays with melted butter or oil, then line with non-stick baking paper.
Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and set aside to cool.
Put the egg whites in a clean, dry medium bowl. Use an electric mixer with a whisk attachment to whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition. Continue whisking until the sugar has dissolved and the meringue is thick and glossy. Whisk in the cornflour and cooled coffee mixture until just combined.
Bake the meringues for 30 minutes, swapping the trays around halfway through cooking, or until dry to touch. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Put the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thickened to a spreadable consistency.