Turn a blazer or suit jacket into a vest
I bought a blazer at Goodwill, it's a size six and I'm a size zero so I did have to do some fitting, but I'm not including that in this tutorial.
(If you'd like to have some info on that, I'd be glad to help!)
But basically, just get a nice jacket. If you're going to put studs on it then I'd suggest using one that is less likely to snag and allow the studs to rip it to bits.
Also, it may not take you as much as mine, I sew everything by hand
- PinkWeeds added Vest Out Of A Blazer to Labyrinth- Jareth 27 Dec 17:50
- Magdalena M. added Vest Out Of A Blazer to to do 26 Aug 13:25
- Sasha A. added Vest Out Of A Blazer to Simple/Easy Clothing 22 Mar 20:09
- Sasha A. favorited Vest Out Of A Blazer 22 Mar 20:09
- Crafterella added Vest Out Of A Blazer to Mondo Guerra 05 Dec 23:37
- phoebediep favorited Vest Out Of A Blazer 13 Jul 04:28
- WaterAngel added Vest Out Of A Blazer to Tops 09 May 07:36
- cristinakilljoyway favorited Vest Out Of A Blazer 01 Jan 01:32
- Darling Chelsea entered their project Vest Out Of A Blazer to The Ultimate DIY Competition 20 Aug 02:20
Outline your vest on the jacket. Sorry mine is so rough! I don't measure, I find that I'm more accurate if I don't attempt using measuring tape.
If you like the more baggy style then try to keep up with the illustration I used on mine. If you like the tighter and shorter look, then just take it up a few inches.
My boyfriend dropped my deodorant on the collar so ignore that detail ha
Okay so after you've cut along the lines this is when you want to carefully start pinning the edges of the vest back. That will be the hem.
What I did was take a pin out, fold the edge back a couple of centimeters and then pin it in place.
I did that all along the cut edges.
Then sew along those pins
Wash it so the chalk wears off and there you have a vest :)