really gothic collar of velvet and lace
I needed a beautiful collar covering my entire neck for an oldschool gothic photoshoot, and so I decided to make my own!
Well, I did not take photos of every single step because I was not sure the outcome would be wearable ^^ But I am sure you will make it without!
2. pic shows one of the shooting outcomes. Surely not the best one, but you can see the collar here, hehe. xD
- Key West Witch favorited Goth Collar 12 May 17:30
- Key West Witch added Goth Collar to Jewelry 30 Jun 05:02
- Sue D. favorited Goth Collar 05 Jan 23:25
- Jenny P. added Goth Collar to Accessories DIY 30 Apr 00:27
- Josep H. favorited Goth Collar 26 May 04:28
- Raul C. favorited Goth Collar 25 May 05:11
- Tim O. favorited Goth Collar 11 May 05:45
- Jessica S. favorited Goth Collar 22 Feb 05:53
- Rebecca Lea G. favorited Goth Collar 03 Feb 18:30
- Kay T. favorited Goth Collar 12 Nov 08:33
Well, when it comes to the sewing machine, I'm a loser, so I decided to do this piece all by hand.
First, gather your stuff. I had a flowerish lace leftover in the exact width I wanted the collar to be. Plus, I got some black velvet and cutted it in the same size as the lace. Pin both pieces together, the velvet facing the lace, shimmering through. I guess it would look AWESOME to use coloured velvet here, a dark blue or purple would surely rock under black lace <3 Got to try this later...
Sew lace and velvet together on the outsides, you could do it left on left and turn afterwards, but I sewed them together just the way they will be in the end. Otherwise, you might see the seams through the lace!
Remove the pins and see if the piece fits.
If you sew it "my way", you have to beautify the borders. To do that, lay the piece down with the front facing you, roll or fold the borders back and stitch round these rolled borders.
Support the small sides with a piece of firm fabric and sew on three hooks on the one side and three "eyes" on the other. Make sure they are on the same hight. ^^
If you did this, put the piece on. That's your base collar. From now on, it's all just decoration, so the most fun part.
I wanted a corset like lacing on the front, so I sewed four pairs of black eyes in a triangle shape on ( argh, very tricky to make them equal .__. ), threaded a thin white satin ribbon through and hotglued the ends on the upper side of the lacing. Then, on the hotglued ends, I added a purple satin rose and finally, I sewed two itty bitty tiny silver bells on the lowest pair of eyes.
It's always easy to copy, but much more fun to invent new, own and individual ways.
And: As always, I'd LOVELOVELOVE to see your versions!