Super Grains and Seeds
When my son was a toddler, I gave him a piece of jícama. I described
it as a ‘white watermelon’ and he devoured it. Sometimes you have
to stretch the truth a bit to introduce new foods but jícama is a
great vegetable on its own and, as here, in coleslaw. Walk into your
local sushi chain and it’s easy to see that sesame seeds are often used
for presentation. But they actually give a nutritional punch of
calcium and magnesium as well!
- Maggs added Sesame Seared Tuna With Asian Slaw to Gluten Free but not Taste Free 29 Feb 21:13
- Carla B. favorited Sesame Seared Tuna With Asian Slaw 15 Mar 08:19
- mowi m. favorited Sesame Seared Tuna With Asian Slaw 14 Mar 15:14
- Emo Chick favorited Sesame Seared Tuna With Asian Slaw 11 Mar 20:08
- Sarah W. favorited Sesame Seared Tuna With Asian Slaw 22 Feb 00:39
- Ryland Peters & Small published his project Sesame Seared Tuna With Asian Slaw 12 Feb 11:06
You Will Need
Spread the black and white sesame seeds evenly on a plate. Season each side of tuna with salt and pepper. Then coat each side of the tuna with the seed mixture – don’t forget the sides as well. In a grill pan, heat the grapeseed oil over medium–high heat. Once the oil is hot, sear the tuna for 30 seconds on all 4 sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
For the asian slaw, cut the jícama, mango and cabbage into long strips. Whisk all the ingredients for the tamari sauce together in a bowl. Add the slaw and mix it all together.
To serve, thinly slice the tuna steak. Spoon a generous amount of slaw on each plate and place the sliced tuna on top. Garnish with fresh coriander/cilantro.