A lovely moist cake that's not too sweet.
- C.Rami favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 22 May 13:52
- rene c. favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 16 Apr 09:04
- Therease S. favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 06 Apr 14:30
- Sarah T. favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 06 Apr 01:16
- WhereTheWildThingsAre favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 05 Apr 16:57
- Sarah S. favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 05 Apr 02:58
- Grace O. favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 05 Apr 02:05
- prusakcornell favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 05 Apr 01:57
- M1CHAEL5H1RLEY added Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake to RECIPES 04 Apr 21:51
- Super Martian Robot Girl favorited Salted Caramel Upside Down Cake 04 Apr 16:52
You Will Need
For the caramel:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar, water and salt.
Stir until the sugar dissolves.
Cook until the mixture turns amber, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter (it will bubble).
Pour into a 9 inch round baking dish in an even layer.
For the cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
With a small knife, cut the top and the bottom off the oranges and with the orange cut side down.
Following the curve of the orange, from top to bottom start slicing away the rind, and the white until it they are completely peeled.
Holding the orange in one hand, cut out orange segments by cutting either side of the white membranes.
Work your way around until the whole orange is segmented.
Set the segments aside.
Spread the almonds on a baking sheet roast in the oven for 10 minutes, keep an eye on them.
Set aside to cool.
Once they are cool, add to a food processor and process until fine.
Transfer to a medium bowl and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Mix to combine.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a mixer on medium high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Beat in the orange zest.
Reduce the mixer to low speed then add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the sour cream, ending with flour mixture until smooth.
Arrange the orange segments on top of the caramel in concentric circles in the cake pan.
Spread the batter over the orange segments and smooth.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you find the cake is browning too quickly, you can tent it will foil.
Transfer to a rack and cool for a few minutes.
Run a knife around the edge of the cake and turn out onto a platter.
Allow to cool completely.