Britain's Best Bakery
Makes 1 large cake
© 2019 Mich Turner / New Holland · Reproduced with permission.
- mmotse03 favorited Rainbow Cake 30 May 07:30
- dotletty favorited Rainbow Cake 11 Nov 09:25
- Naomi V. favorited Rainbow Cake 03 Nov 23:19
- Naomi V. commented on Rainbow Cake 03 Nov 23:18
- MAY M. favorited Rainbow Cake 03 Nov 19:18
- Emma H. favorited Rainbow Cake 15 Sep 19:12
- prusakcornell favorited Rainbow Cake 15 Sep 02:30
- Kay Bay favorited Rainbow Cake 11 Sep 08:12
- New Holland Publishers published her project Rainbow Cake 20 Jun 11:10
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 180ÅãC/350ÅãF/Gas mark 4. Grease and line five 23 cm (9 in) loose-base sandwich tins (pans).
To make the cake, in a large bowl, mix the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the butter and beat the mixture until thick and creamy. Meanwhile, warm the milk and vanilla together in a microwave until lukewarm, or in a small pan over low heat. Sift the flour and baking powder into the egg mixture and fold in slowly until just combined. Slowly pour in the warmed milk and vanilla while mixing. Stir until pale and fluffy. Divide the batter evenly between five bowls. Add a few drops of a different food colour to each bowl and mix until each is uniformly tinted. Tip each batter into a different prepared tin and level the top. Bake all the cakes at the same time, for 10 minutes. Leave to set in the tins for a few minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack to go cold.
To make the buttercream, in a large bowl, beat the butter and add the icing sugar a little at a time until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix again. Decide on the order you would like to assemble the rainbow cake. Place the bottom layer on a
serving plate and spread buttercream in a thin, even layer over the surface. Place the next cake on top, and coat the top with buttercream as before. Repeat until all the layers are assembled and stacked, then slowly spread the remaining icing around the
sides and top of the cake. Smooth the icing by dipping a knife in hot water and smoothing over the surface, then decorate the border with mini smarties.