Instead of frying chicken in breadcrumbs, try coating it with ground popcorn, flavoured with eleven different herbs and spices. Not only is it tasty, it is also gluten-free. If you want to keep the whole dish gluten-free, use rice flour instead of plain flour. Serve with coleslaw or potato salad for a classic American meal.
- Luca R. favorited Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips 07 Sep 18:56
- Jennifer T. favorited Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips 04 Apr 17:17
- Jennifer T. added Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips to To-make list 04 Apr 17:17
- Angel C. favorited Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips 19 Mar 01:40
- dippydiscoball added Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips to 2 make N kitchen 08 Mar 09:29
- kelsey.brockerville favorited Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips 05 Mar 13:10
- Apple Press published her project Popcorn Crusted Chicken Strips 20 Jan 15:42
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 140° C (275° F, gas mark 1).
In a food processor, place the popcorn, paprika, thyme, oregano, marjoram, ginger, sage, celery salt, garlic powder, dried chilli flakes, black pepper and salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl. Place the flour in another wide, shallow bowl, and the beaten egg in a third bowl.
Cut the chicken into 1.25-cm (1⁄2-in) strips and dry with paper towels. Dip each chicken strip first in the flour, coating each side, then in the egg, coating each side, and finally in the
popcorn and spice mix, coating all over.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and butter together over medium-high heat. When it is hot, but not smoking, add the chicken strips and cook until they are golden brown and cooked through, turning them once while cooking. Do not overcrowd the frying pan; work in batches if necessary, adding a little more oil if needed. Keep the first strips warm in the oven while you cook the rest of the chicken. Serve immediately.