A savory french toast that is good for any time of the day!
French onion soup meets French toast! Lots of melted cheese. Caramelized onions with a bit of booze. Soft & buttery brioche! What's not to love?
- Cravings in Amsterdam replied to a comment on her project Onion Soup French Toast 25 Jul 09:07
- Cat Morley added Onion Soup French Toast to Lunch & Dinner 24 Jul 12:10
- Cat Morley favorited Onion Soup French Toast 24 Jul 12:10
- Cat Morley commented on Onion Soup French Toast 24 Jul 12:09
- Cravings in Amsterdam published her project Onion Soup French Toast 24 Jul 06:00
You Will Need
Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions, thyme, salt & pepper. Cook for about 10 min. Stir from time to time. Then add the port & white wine. Stir to deglaze the pan. Once the liquid has evaporated, turn off the heat & transfer to a plate.
Slice the brioche into thick slices of about 5 or 6 cm. Cut through the top part of the crust of each slice to create a pocket. Stuff it with the onions & cheese. Then press together the opening to seal it. In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the egg batter.
In a large pan, add 2tbsp of butter & melt it over low heat. Soak the stuffed bread in the egg batter. Place it in the pan & cook for about 4-5 min on each side on low heat. It needs enough time for the cheese inside to melt. Then repeat for the remaining toasts.
Serve right away and enjoy!
And if you want, you can also waffle this French toast!