Vegan version of Fideo = Less fat but still yummy!
This is one of my favorite dishes. It is so simple and comforting, and CHEAP! Perfect for when you don't have much money or time.
I have many memories with this warm pasta it can be made thicker or thinner. Thinner is usually called sopa *soup*.
Some restaurants are even beginning to offer this Mexican peasant dish!
p.s. This version is thicker, NOT sopa
p.s.s. If you have vermicelli and tomato sauce you can also make this.
- Shantelle t. added Mexican "Soupa" Fideo to food!! 08 Dec 06:14
- KelliDroze added Mexican "Soupa" Fideo to Food 09 Mar 22:47
- Phie27 added Mexican "Soupa" Fideo to Foodie 11 Feb 09:14
- Lauren J. favorited Mexican "Soupa" Fideo 05 Feb 22:23
- cristinakilljoyway favorited Mexican "Soupa" Fideo 18 Jan 17:46
- SabrinaPanKakes favorited Mexican "Soupa" Fideo 18 Sep 07:43
- Olivia B. favorited Mexican "Soupa" Fideo 12 Sep 16:31
- Felecity W. entered her project Mexican "Soupa" Fideo to Go Vegan 2011 Contest 07 Dec 01:16
Check your pasta in periodically (every 5 mins) it should look something like this. If you are making thicker the bottom will burn if you do not stir occasionally.
Once the pasta is tender check the consistency and taste. If it's too thick add more water. Better to be too thick you can fix that. Thin watery fideo is pretty gross.
I like to sprinkle a little cheese and some fresh cilantro on top. Add a homemade tortilla and you have a super yummy comforting meal. :)
This is also good when combined with fresh pinto beans. I like to mix it all up...yes I am strange.. :)
Enjoy! I would love to see your versions! Let me know how you like it!