I love the flavour of malt. It is one of thee most comforting tastes and this is the pie I make when I need a little pick-me-up. Topped with whipped cream and Maltesers, this is a great party pie and is always popular. If you can’t find malted milks, replace with digestive biscuits or graham crackers.
- Alecia B. favorited Malted Mascarpone Pie 21 Aug 05:40
- Emma H. favorited Malted Mascarpone Pie 18 Aug 23:49
- ale_corason favorited Malted Mascarpone Pie 24 Jul 06:54
- Southern Crafter added Malted Mascarpone Pie to Baking 22 Jul 06:32
- Southern Crafter added Malted Mascarpone Pie to Floral n Gardening 22 Jul 06:32
- Sal M. added Malted Mascarpone Pie to Food 21 Jul 14:33
- Ryland Peters & Small published his project Malted Mascarpone Pie 21 Jul 06:00
You Will Need
Blitz the cookies to fine crumbs in a food processor or place in a clean plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin. Stir in the melted butter, salt and sugar, then press into the base and sides of the pan firmly, so that the sides have a thick layer of crumbs on and the base is completely covered with no gaps. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
For the filling, whisk together the mascarpone cheese, cream, eggs, sugar and malt powder until smooth and creamy. Wrap the base and sides of the pan in foil and place on a baking sheet to catch any butter that is released during cooking. Pour the filling into the pie crust and carefully transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 40–50 minutes, until the custard is just set with a slight wobble in the centre.
Remove from the oven and let cool. e custard will sink back down into the pie crust as it cools.
Whip the cream to soft peaks and spoon on top of the pie in gentle peaks. Cut the chocolate-coated malt balls into pieces using a sharp knife and sprinkle over the top of the pie. Dust with cocoa powder and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until serving.
This pie is best eaten on the day it is made. However, it can be stored for up to 2 days in the refrigerator, as long as you add the topping just before serving it.