Lentil Sloppy Joes
These lentils take on a rich baked-bean flavor .. robust, sweet, yet savory. Not to mention the perfect softness & messiness that traditional Sloppy Joes are made of.
- Randi D. added Lentil Sloppy Joes to Recipes 20 Oct 02:39
- Lee Rose added Lentil Sloppy Joes to recipes 16 Jun 02:01
- KelliDroze added Lentil Sloppy Joes to Food 11 Jun 20:05
- Suzi T. favorited Lentil Sloppy Joes 27 May 12:28
- Lorrie B. added Lentil Sloppy Joes to food 23 May 19:00
- xxkayxx favorited Lentil Sloppy Joes 22 May 14:05
- Chudames favorited Lentil Sloppy Joes 22 May 04:16
- Leah. favorited Lentil Sloppy Joes 21 May 17:23
- Kay Bay favorited Lentil Sloppy Joes 21 May 07:12
- Ali R. published her project Lentil Sloppy Joes 21 May 06:00
You Will Need
About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium sauce pan pot over medium heat.
Saute the onion and pepper in the oil (~ 7 minutes), until softened.
Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
Add the cooked lentils, and the the rest of the spices (except the maple syrup & mustard).
Stir gently until just combined.
Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.
Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld.
I like to serve these open faced, with a scoop of sloppy joe on each slice of the bun.