This is great fun to make. You need a long table and someone
to help you roll it if possible. Coiled like a snake, it’s filled with
spinach or greens, feta and herbs and is delicious hot or cold.
- Alecia B. favorited Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek 06 Oct 09:15
- Suzi T. favorited Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek 16 Jul 11:28
- SugarNSpiceLily added Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek to international dishes 14 Jul 03:09
- Hester A. favorited Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek 10 Jul 17:33
- Anja R. favorited Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek 10 Jul 08:03
- Anja R. commented on Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek 10 Jul 08:03
- Quadrille published her project Ispanaklı Börek Snake Style Börek 27 Jun 15:28
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas 4. To make the filling, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
Lay half the filo pastry sheets, each sheet overlapping the next, in a long line on a work surface or table and brush around the edges and joins with the melted butter. Lay the remaining filo pastry sheets on top and brush the edges again with melted butter. Moving quickly so that the filo doesn’t have time to dry out, place the filling at the longer edge of pastry closest to you in a long
line along all the sheets. Carefully roll the pastry up tightly into a long sausage shape, tucking in the ends to stop the filling from coming out. Brush with the melted butter. Now carefully roll the pastry round into a tightly-coiled snake shape. Transfer it carefully with a wide spatula to a baking tray or a round metal tart or cake tin brushed with some of the melted butter.
For the egg wash, combine the beaten egg, milk and any remaining butter together in a small bowl. Brush the top of the pastry snake with the egg wash, sprinkle with a little water and bake in the preheated oven for 45–60 minutes or until golden on top. Leave it to cool for 15 minutes before transferring it to a plate. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios, cut into slices and serve.