How To Applique
When I was in highschool, my mum taught me to applique. I appliqued ALOT of things, mostly faces of Angelica from the Rugrats onto shirts + pencil cases.
Well I hadn't appliqued in forever, until I decided Vincent needed some cute new clothes. Well I'm on an applique-ing bender! You can applique anything, and use any graphic you'd like as an applique. Some that are fun are images from children's colouring-in books. You can get some cute pictures here. Just print them out, cut along the lines and then choose what fabrics you'd like each piece. I'll do a more in-depth applique tutorial for multiple pieces another day.
The following tutorial shows you how to applique. I use this product called Vliesofix, but if you don't have any, or can't afford it, regular interfacing will do. You'll just have to pin it to the item being appliqued instead of ironing it on
- Key West Witch favorited How To Applique 26 Jun 08:20
- Sveta favorited How To Applique 20 Oct 00:22
- Miss_Fit favorited How To Applique 08 Jul 15:10
- Andrea R. favorited How To Applique 05 May 17:12
- Ana favorited How To Applique 21 Aug 23:23
- marilyn.steckly favorited How To Applique 20 Apr 23:21
- Niki W. favorited How To Applique 10 Mar 01:03
- Emo Chick favorited How To Applique 12 Jan 00:21
- arina m. favorited How To Applique 08 Jan 22:46
- silentband favorited How To Applique 23 Jul 22:00
Gather your materials. You'll need Scissors, an iron, what you want to applique, and what you want to applique onto. You'll also need a little pattern of what you are appliqueing. I'm going to applique a V onto some white fabric I can later turn into a pocket for Vincent. The fabric that will be the V is the fabric with the small red ants all over it.
The paper under the iron there is Vliesofix.
Vliesofix is a double sided glue paper. It is gluey on one side, and the other side is covered in paper. You can iron the gluey side down to something, peel off the paper and then iron that side onto something else. It sticks things together really well, but for relaly neat appliqueing, I zigzag around the edge.
So I set the Zig-zag width to 4 and the stitch length to 0.5. This makes tiny close together zig-zags like satinstitch.