Refreshing summer drink
An easy way to make your own ginger syrup, with an added kick of citrus.
- Super Madcow added Homemade Ginger Ale to Party 14 Jul 12:38
- Suzi T. favorited Homemade Ginger Ale 08 Nov 18:28
- Risa.Hanae (JapZilla) favorited Homemade Ginger Ale 05 Nov 19:36
- ale_corason favorited Homemade Ginger Ale 14 Oct 07:45
- heather r. added Homemade Ginger Ale to Food Items to make 13 Oct 19:50
- stephanie favorited Homemade Ginger Ale 09 Oct 08:58
- KelliDroze added Homemade Ginger Ale to Food 08 Oct 18:22
- Christine P. favorited Homemade Ginger Ale 07 Oct 05:30
- jessy g. added Homemade Ginger Ale to food and beverage 06 Oct 00:25
- lisa r. added Homemade Ginger Ale to Food to try 04 Oct 22:44
Peel and chop your ginger into coins or cube them, whatever is easiest for you. Add it to a medium pot with the sugar and water. Add the juice of one lemon and one lime. Cook on medium heat until it starts to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer on low for 5-10 minutes. Let sit for an hour to cool.
Transfer syrup into a container with a fine mesh strainer. Discard pieces of ginger. Keep refrigerated.
To make the ginger ale, start with 1 tbsp ginger syrup to 1 cup sparkling water over ice and then keep adding syrup to taste. I find less is more but it's really up to your taste buds! You can also add more lime or lemon juice to taste. And hey, if you like Fresca, by all means, add all the citrus! Garnish with lemon and lime slices and fresh mint leaves. I like to bruise the mint to release more flavour. It really adds to the freshness of the drink.