Kippered herrings (kippers) have made a bit of a comeback in recent times. This is partly due to the British food revival but also due to their low cost and health benefits. Herring are an oily fish high in Omega 3. To kipper them, they are split down the back and splayed open. They are then heavily cured in strong brine before being cold smoked for up to 16 hours, traditionally over oak chips.
- Brianna S. favorited Grilled Kippers With Lemon Butter 01 Aug 23:42
- Toxsixzpoizen favorited Grilled Kippers With Lemon Butter 19 Jul 10:06
- Emo Chick favorited Grilled Kippers With Lemon Butter 11 Mar 20:21
- noche-estrellada favorited Grilled Kippers With Lemon Butter 28 Jan 19:27
- Suzi T. favorited Grilled Kippers With Lemon Butter 26 Jan 13:29
- Bloomsbury published her project Grilled Kippers With Lemon Butter 21 Jan 12:08
Open all the windows in your kitchen unless you want the smell to linger for most of the day.
Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
Smear half the butter over the opened side of your kippers. Melt the remaining butter in a large ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat and lay the kippers into the pan skin-side down. Place the pan under the grill and warm the kippers through for about 4 minutes or so.
Remove the kippers from under the grill and place back on the hob. Squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle over the chives. Baste the kippers with the lemon butter and serve with brown toast.