The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book
Makes one 9-inch pie; serves 8-10
All-Butter Crust for a 9-inch single-crust pie, partially prebaked:
- Lotusburger favorited Grapefruit Custard Pie 04 Nov 09:48
- Barbara B. favorited Grapefruit Custard Pie 03 Nov 03:12
- heather r. added Grapefruit Custard Pie to Food Items to make 15 Oct 19:46
- Emma H. favorited Grapefruit Custard Pie 06 Sep 11:10
- ale_corason favorited Grapefruit Custard Pie 03 Sep 05:22
- Grand Central Publishing published her project Grapefruit Custard Pie 31 Jul 08:35
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F.
Place the prebaked pie shell on a rimmed baking sheet.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, salt, and melted butter.
Whisk in the eggs and egg yolk one at a time, blending well after each addition.
Whisk in the grapefruit juice, Campari, heavy cream, and bitters, if using.
Strain the filling through a fine-mesh sieve directly into the pie shell, or strain it into a separate bowl and then pour it into the shell.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes, rotating 180 degrees when the edges start to set, 30 to 35 minutes through baking.
The pie is finished when the edges are set and puffed slightly and the center is no longer liquid but still quite wobbly.
Be careful not to overbake or the custard can separate; the filling will continue to cook and set after the pie is removed from the oven.
Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, 2 to 3 hours.
Serve at room temperature or cool.
The pie will keep refrigerated for 2 days or at room temperature for 1 day.