Fritos and Caramel make the ultimate sweet and salty combination
Salty corn chip and sweet caramel flavors blend perfectly here. A cupcake and a snack in one.
- Sarah W. favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 26 Jan 15:06
- iscrafte added Frito Caramel Cupcakes to Om nom nom! 25 Dec 14:14
- iscrafte favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 25 Dec 14:14
- Leigh C. favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 27 Nov 03:10
- jennifer.barninger favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 25 Nov 21:10
- Abbey B. favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 27 Oct 05:52
- heather r. added Frito Caramel Cupcakes to Food Items to make 11 Oct 17:39
- lin d. favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 06 Oct 04:29
- saramackey78 added Frito Caramel Cupcakes to Look At Later 03 Oct 15:46
- Suzi T. favorited Frito Caramel Cupcakes 01 Oct 20:42
For the Frito Cupcakes:
1+1/2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1lb) butter, softened
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown firmly packed brown sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 +1/2 cups crushed Fritos or corn chips
1 jar of caramel sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line two cupcake pans with liners.
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
Pulverize the Fritos/corn chips in a food processor. Set aside 1/2 cup for decoration.
Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time and combine thoroughly.
Mix in vanilla.
Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternating each, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
Mix in one cup of the crushed Fritos/corn chips.
Spoon or use a pastry bag or pipe batter into the liners.
Bake about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out dry.
Remove and transfer cupcakes to cool completely.
Use a teaspoon to create a shallow hole of the center of each cupcakes and fill with caramel sauce.
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the Caramel Buttercream:
2 sticks softened butter
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons caramel sauce plus some for decoration
1/2 cup crushed Fritos or corn chips (see above) for decoration
Mix together butter, buttermilk and two cups of the powdered sugar.
Gradually add the rest of the sugar one cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Mix in the caramel sauce.
Load into a pastry bag and swirl the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Sprinkle the crushed chips over the top and then drizzle the caramel.
If you like, push in a single Frito/corn chip on the peak of the frosting.