Perfect for a tea party or fairy party!
Fairy Cakes are cupcakes with the centers cut out, then filled with jam and cream. The cut out cake centers are turned upside down to become fairy wings! You can either use mock cream or real cream for the filling.
- Emma H. added Fairy Cakes to Steampunk Tea Party 17 Jul 16:28
- Jodi P. added Fairy Cakes to mmm....dessert 12 Feb 08:41
- Jodi P. favorited Fairy Cakes 12 Feb 08:41
- Cheychey favorited Fairy Cakes 30 Jun 17:13
- Carla B. favorited Fairy Cakes 23 May 17:26
- judithchen added Fairy Cakes to recipes 23 May 01:05
- Ashley W. favorited Fairy Cakes 22 May 13:16
- Suzi T. favorited Fairy Cakes 22 May 12:25
- cookiesorbiscuits published her project Fairy Cakes 10 Apr 20:59
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 390°F and grease or line 2 large muffin pans.
Add all cake ingredients into a standing electric mixer bowl. Beat at low speed for 1 minute and then increase the speed to medium-high and beat for a further 2 minutes.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling approximately 2/3 of each muffin cup.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely.
Either make the mock cream or beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
To make the mock cream, place the sugar and water in a saucepan. On medium heat, stir the liquid until the sugar dissolves. Wipe down sugar from the sides of the saucepan using a wet pastry brush. Do not allow the syrup to boil until all the sugar has dissolved.
Once the sugar has dissolved bring the syrup to a boil. Allow to cool completely.
Beat the butter and vanilla in a standing electric mixer, until the butter turns white, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the syrup to the butter and beat until thick, about 5 minutes.
Spread strawberry jam on the surface of the hole. Fill the cakes with mock cream. Place two cake semicircles on top of the cream to form wings. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.