Follow this easy and quick tutorial on how to add a bit of glam with faux fur
I have had fur on my mind ever since I tried on the LOFT Military Wool Jacket with Fur Collar. So when I found some fur trim at Joann's, I felt compelled to buy it and fashion my own collar. See tutorial below.
- Rachel B. favorited Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial 29 Nov 06:26
- Markee R. added Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial to Marlene Dietrich 08 Apr 08:55
- x_niccadee added Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial to make this 21 Mar 05:01
- Zombie Babe added Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial to new wardrobe 03 Oct 09:18
- zoegirl221 favorited Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial 18 Sep 02:39
- zoegirl221 added Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial to Clothes 26 Jul 09:24
- Alex Poser added Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial to Accessories 10 Jan 22:49
- Belinda C. favorited Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial 30 Nov 18:26
- Bakewells favorited Diy Faux Fur Collar Tutorial 04 Aug 14:17
Cut 2 rectangular pieces of 22" x 4". For me, 22" hit me right above the belly button. You can adjust your length depending on where you want your collar to end. When cutting, be sure to "part" the fur and cut along the part. Otherwise, you'll end up with unsightly hacked off hair with blunt edges.
Sew the 2 pieces together on the wrong side so that the fur orientation of the collar has the nap going down the collar on both sides. I don't think you necessarily have to do this but it seemed weird to me to have the fur direction going up one side and down the other.
Cut a piece of lining fabric to match the exact dimensions of your 44" x 4" collar. You can also make the fabric slightly smaller than the collar if you want the lining to be virtually invisible (but then your collar will be slightly narrower too).
Place lining fabric on top of the fur and sew both long sides plus 1 short side.
Now flip it inside out so that the fur is on one side and the lining is on the other. Blind stitch the remaining short side.
Lightly brush along the edges to coax some of the trapped fur (from sewing the lining to it) out.