clothespin dolls (Santa & Mrs. Claus)
Making Clothespin Ornaments:
1. Download and print clothespin ornaments template here:
Paint clothespin: Paint the head flesh color, and paint the hair. Paint the body to coordinate with the clothing you'll be adding (the templates don't include pants patterns, so paint pants on). Paint shoes on the feet (unless the template you're using includes shoes). Let dry, approximately 5 minutes.
2. Draw facial features on the head with marker.
3. Working carefully, use the awl to make a hole in the top of the head. Screw in a 1/2-inch screw eye.
4. Use the templates to cut material into doll clothing. To attach clothing, first dab glue onto doll, then wrap clothing around doll. Trim excess. (Specific instructions are included on templates.) For Mrs. Claus's bun, glue a portion of a cotton ball to the back of her head. Glue on ribbon for decoration or beads for buttons, if desired.
5. Cut arms from a double thickness of felt, matching the color of the felt to that of the doll's clothing: Glue two pieces of felt together, and let glue dry. Cut out two arms per doll, and attach arms after doll is dressed.
6. Thread a length of ribbon through the screw eye for hanging.
Special thanks to Martha Stewart Living associate style editor Pam Peterson and segment producer Lenore Welby for demonstrating this lovely craft.