RICE PREP: UP TO 1 ½ hours
SUSHI PREP: 10 MINUTES
MAKES 2 ROLLS (16 PIECES)
© 2020 Marisa Baggett / Tuttle Publishing · Reproduced with permission.
- Tracey H. favorited California Rolls 25 Jan 03:51
- Amadeus W. favorited California Rolls 14 Jun 21:02
- Phoenix M. favorited California Rolls 09 Sep 22:06
- Emma H. favorited California Rolls 18 May 12:36
- Maxine M. added California Rolls to To-make list 04 Apr 00:47
- Emo Chick favorited California Rolls 11 Mar 21:45
- amanda.shillito favorited California Rolls 13 Dec 17:05
- Shantelle t. added California Rolls to food!! 08 Dec 13:52
- Summer O. favorited California Rolls 19 Nov 21:20
- SlushyNanook favorited California Rolls 12 Sep 20:20
You Will Need
Prepare the Sushi Rice.
Place one sheet of the nori, rough side facing upwards, directly on a cutting board. The long end should be parallel to the bottom of the board.
Dip your ﬁngertips lightly in cold water and spread ¾ cup (150 g) of the prepared Sushi Rice evenly over the entire surface of the nori.
Flip the nori over so that the rice is facing down. Place 3 avocado slices across the nori. (Place the filling near the bottom for easier rolling.) Top with ½ of the cucumber matchsticks. Tear 1 imitation crab stick in half lengthwise.
Place the torn pieces end to end over the cucumber. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of the sesame seeds over the crab.
Wet your fingertips and slide your thumbs underneath the nori while grasping fillings with all your other fingertips. Roll the bottom of the nori just over the fillings, making sure to tightly tuck the fillings under the fold.
Continue rolling until the seam of the roll is on the bottom. With a bamboo rolling mat covered in plastic film wrap, gently shape roll by pressing your forefingers on top of the mat while simultaneously pressing your thumbs and middle fingers into the sides.
Repeat the steps to complete another roll. Place rolls seam side down on the cutting board before cutting into 8 pieces. Spread the capelin roe evenly across the pieces of sushi with a spoon. Serve immediately with soy sauce for dipping.