The Autumn Ash is a modern-day scotch cocktail. Back in the days of Madison Avenue’s Mad Men–style boardrooms, scotch meant blended whiskey—that’s whiskey with an “e.” In fact, whiskey was blended to intentionally give it an air of conformity. Some brands were naturally better than others, but all were pretty much after the same prize: the loyalty of the (mostly) men who swigged the stuff as a matter of status. Over the decades, the status of blended whiskey has suffered at the peat-stained hands of very good single malt whisky— that’s whisky without the “e.” But the tables are turning once again. Blended whisky (with or without an “e”) is turning up on top shelves everywhere. It’s a terrific choice for complex, smoke-tinged savory cocktails. I love the restrained way the “smoke” in this cocktail wafts into your consciousness a millisecond after the fact.
- Kaiulani W. favorited Autumn Ash 19 Nov 01:41
- Suzie added Autumn Ash to Bonfire Nght Part 11 Oct 17:00
- Markee R. added Autumn Ash to Mad Men Office Party 22 Jun 14:00
- Emma H. favorited Autumn Ash 15 Nov 00:34
- Zombie Babe favorited Autumn Ash 12 Nov 07:14
- Ulysses Press published her project Autumn Ash 08 Aug 18:51
Combine the scotch, apple brandy, elderflower liqueur, and bitters in a mixing glass half-filled with ice. Stir until chilled and properly diluted, about 20 seconds. Julep-strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist, expressing its oil onto the surface, rubbing it on the glass rim, and dropping it in, peel side up.