This yarn wrapped wreath will cheer up any Christmas door!
I had been looking for a nice Christmas wreath that wasn't nasty fake plastic greenery and found some lovely yarn wrapped wreaths online. Lovely but a bit out of my price range, so why not try it myself I thought.
- Ella S. favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 14 Oct 14:39
- Milyn H. favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 26 Oct 18:07
- FireLightPhoenix favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 04 Nov 04:14
- courtneycupcake favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 11 Oct 13:43
- gale.c.porter added Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath to fair ideas 22 Mar 12:28
- Birgit favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 28 Dec 10:07
- kimberly c. favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 26 Dec 16:09
- Jennifer A. favorited Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 25 Dec 02:41
- Jennifer A. commented on Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath 25 Dec 02:41
- CraftmeCrazy entered her project Yarn Wrapped Christmas Wreath to Secret Santa 25 Dec 00:15
Firstly cover your wreath. I used a polystyrene ring but there are lots of altrenatives. Tie a loop of your yarn around the ring and start wrapping. I used a plain aran weight yarn but you could use any you like. If you want to stick decorations round the wreath a textured/fluffy yarn might cause problems.
I highly suggest putting a good film on while wrapping your base. My ring diameter was about 25cm and took a couple of hours to finish but obviously the size of your ring and thickness of yarn will determine how long it takes. I wanted a neat finish so wrapped carefully, which took time but it meant I only needed one layer round and didn't have to go back and cover gaps.
* Don't forget that the inside of your ring is smaller than the outside and you will need to 'push' the inside yarn tight occasionally so you don't get gaps on the outer edge.*
Next gather your decorating bits. I found some cute tiny white reindeer and used white and silver ribbon. I also raided my decorations for the baubles and made some felt flowers. I don't have pics for the flower making but I used instructions from here:http://www.thecraftedsparrow.com/2012/04/felt-flowers-tutorials-5-to-choose-from.html but there are lots of online tutorials for felt flowers, take your pick.
Glue or sew your bits to your covered wreath. I layered my ribbon with the silver on top of the white and glued the ribbon at the back where it won't be seen and carefully glued the reindeer on. I used normal PVA glue but I think sewing or using a hot glue gun may be more secure for future use, I suspect I will end up sewing my bits to the yarn.