They make a great gift for valentines. Or you could make one for yourself to brighten up a jacket or cardigan. Alternatively you could make a batch of them to use as favors at an eco-themed wedding.
I have an ever-expanding collection of vintage fabric and denim scraps left over from making things for Pouch. I came up with the idea for these pretty little heart brooches a while ago. I thought I would share them as a crafty tutorial.
You will need:
Patterned fabric scraps (lightweight fabric with a small pattern is best. I use upcycled scraps of pillowcases and bed sheets left over from making peg bags and lavender hearts.
Denim scraps (heavyweight denim is better).
Fabric glue (something like this PVA glue is best )
Brooch backs (or small safety pin)
Heart templates (these can be found at the end of the tutorial. I have drawn them onto an A4 sheet of paper, so if you print them out at 100%, you should get the same sizes as I used for my own heart brooches)
- mmotse03 favorited Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial 16 Aug 23:41
- Ana favorited Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial 20 Jul 02:02
- Collette favorited Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial 31 Aug 17:42
- bemeself favorited Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial 24 Aug 21:16
- Miss_Fit added Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial to Next Steps 09 Jul 18:07
- iscrafte added Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial to Created a version of 30 Jun 08:27
- iscrafte added Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial to To do 29 Jun 08:18
- iscrafte added Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial to Inspiration 19 May 09:10
- iscrafte favorited Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial 19 May 09:10
- Miss_Fit added Upcycled Fabric Heart Brooch Tutorial to Fun Little Bits 29 Mar 04:27
First cut out the three hearts needed for the brooch. Cut the felt and denim heart out with pinking shears. I use pinking shears to cut out the felt and denim heart. This isn’t essential, but I do like the effect pinking shears have on the felt. Even though the denim heart wont be seen because it is at the back, I still like to cut the denim with pinking shears to minimise fraying.
Once the fabric heart is sewn onto the felt and the brooch back is attached to the denim heart, you need to glue the two components together. Cover the wrong side (WS) of the denim heart with your choice of fabric glue and carefully place in the centre of the WS of the felt heart. Press together firmly. I like to use fabric glue rather than sewing the two parts together because once the glue is dry it adds more rigidity to the brooch.
Here are the templates.
You can also find them on my blog.
You can make any number of variations, such as bigger hearts or adding the odd vintage button or two – I would love to hear any other ideas you may have!