This two tone leather purse is a perfect gift idea
Learn how to make a two tone leather purse from an old leather jacket. It's simple & costs a fraction of a bought one!
- LaAlex favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 24 Mar 08:36
- Kimya J. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 27 Feb 01:17
- _.+'** Eden+ *+..._ favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 13 Dec 21:31
- Marisa A. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 13 Oct 22:22
- Kyara S. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 04 Oct 10:35
- Chikjade_Designs added Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse to To-make list 07 Aug 00:54
- Luann U. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 14 Jul 01:37
- meru m. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 18 Mar 21:49
- meg B. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 11 Mar 21:10
- Moira A. favorited Two Tone Recycled Leather Purse 22 Feb 09:56
Step 1| Buy some old leather garments
This is my favorite part….the hunt for the leather via all the second hand stores I can find! I love good thrift shop expedition and they are definitely the cheapest place to buy old leather garments. Look for beautiful soft leather skirts and jackets in both suede and smooth leather. Make sure the leather is not too thin as you want a little structure and strength but not too tough either as you need to be able to get your sewing machine through it without much trouble. I bought a selection of leather so I could play around and see what worked best and this way I had a good selection of colors for my two tone look.
Step 3| Make the fabric tabs
Making the tabs is pretty simple, all you need to do is cut out a 4cm wide and 3cm high piece of your chosen fabric. Make sure it is non stretch. Then using an iron, press the piece of fabric in half. This gives a clear halfway line.
Use this halfway line to press each side of the fabric into the middle and then in half again like the image shows.
Step 4| Trim the zip up to the stopper
Trim the excess material “tail” off the zip at the top end. Just above the metal stoppers.
Step 7 | Attach zip to leather pieces
Place the zip face down on right side of one of the leather pieces like the photo depicts. Using a zipper foot and a leather or denim neddle, sew along the length of the zip. Then attach the other side of the zip. Placing the zip once again upside onto the right side of the remaining piece of leather and sew as before.
Step 8 | Sew sides & bottom of purse
The final step is to sew up the purse. Pin the sides of the purse together and sew close to but not over the fabric tabs. Sew both sides first then the bottom. Then trim the corners and turn the purse in the correct way. Making sure you push the corners out properly, they may need a little coxing. .