An instant bedroom upgrade.
It’s been a while since I had a Wednesday DIY for you guys, but yesterday I was inspired to whip up a set of summery, tropical turquoise and lime curtains for the bedroom. We've been living with the homely-yet-endearing drapes left behind by the previous tenant, and I could not be happier to have upgraded.
See more DIY and style tips at HeyMishka.com! xo
- Kinhime Dragon favorited Tropical Summer Curtains 15 Sep 19:58
- Elin H. favorited Tropical Summer Curtains 27 Jun 20:44
- RareJewel favorited Tropical Summer Curtains 21 Jun 06:32
- Ashly C. added Tropical Summer Curtains to DIY The Room - Kimmy Schmidt 06 May 02:22
- Marjorie T. added Tropical Summer Curtains to Want To Do This 22 Apr 20:39
- Marjorie T. favorited Tropical Summer Curtains 22 Apr 20:39
- Alissa B. favorited Tropical Summer Curtains 21 Apr 01:16
- Hey Mishka published her project Tropical Summer Curtains 09 Apr 16:09
You can get your measurements from your existing drapes or adjust them to be less/more full, longer, etc. Be sure to add 2-4″ to the length of your drapes for the fold-over loop your curtain rod will go through. If you’re doing piece-work, be sure you’re adding that additional length to the top pattern piece.
I did this quick sketch of our bedroom and tried a few design ideas before I came to one I loved. I liked the idea of color blocking, but horizontal lines seemed a bit strict for our otherwise eclectic room. I went for the half-circle, which is a lot easier to sew than you think!
Draft up your pattern according to your measurements.
For piecework, create the rectangular pattern and then cut out your pattern paper along the style lines to create your separate pieces. When you cut out your fabric, allow for seam allowance along those style lines.
I confess,I freestyled my style lines and just cut the fabric according to what I thought looked right. I wasn’t worried about making a flawless museum-worthy set of curtains, and I’m no stranger to winging it. I developed a skill for cutting corners in fashion school. No pun intended. ;}