Reuse your old t-shirts to make this cute and useful basket
With old t-shirts this project is free! just reuse old t-shirts to make t-shirt yarn as shown in the tutorial and then make this cute basket to store your remotes or whatever else you'd like!
- js-m crafts commented on T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 15 Sep 09:20
- js-m crafts favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 29 Apr 11:11
- ZombieUnicorn favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 14 Jan 22:25
- genevammills added T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket to Yarn projects 21 Mar 17:03
- Danielle M. favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 26 Oct 20:56
- Lisa W. favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 13 Sep 22:12
- Chudames favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 15 Jun 21:00
- Jazz M. favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 27 Mar 19:38
- Robin N. favorited T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket 07 Mar 09:47
- Lorrie B. added T Shirt Yarn Storage Basket to crafts 05 Jan 01:21
Make the t-shirt yarn
1. Cut the t-shirt below the sleeves so you have just a tube of fabric
2. Fold the t-shirt over itself leaving about 1.5 inches of seam and then cut the length of the tube in strips, stopping at the fold.
3. Unfold and extend the t-shirt and cut the strips diagonally to obtain a continuous strip.
4. Taking about a foot at a time, stretch the fabric strip so it curls over itself. Roll your ball and you’re ready to knit.
Chain 4 and join with a slip stitch to make a circle
Rd1: 12 dc in the circle (12)
Rd2: 2dc in each dc (24)
Rd3-Rd7: 1 dc in each (24)
Rd 8: 1dc in the first 8 stitches, chain 10 and skip 8 stitches, 1dc in each stitch til the end of the round
This last round is to make the handle. Even though you skip 8 stitches, I recommend you chain a bit more than that so you can hang the basket from something other than a hook.
To sew the button I pinched the t-shirt yarn and put it through the holes of the button pushing with a needle. You can easily tie a knot to hold the button in place. The knot will be pretty much invisible and it will be in the wrong side of your work. Because this is done with t-shirt yarn and a big hook, the chains have enough room to put the button through them so you don’t need to worry about making a buttonhole in the fabric.