Easy to Learn Hand Embroidery
This whimsical cat pincushion has a trio of embroidered flowers made with lazy daisy stitches. She stands upright, ready to hold pins and needles for your sewing projects.
4 x 6 inches
Full-size templates are included on the insert for body, outer and inner ear, tail and base pieces. Transfer all markings from templates to fabric.
• Trace 2 inner ears about 1/2 inch apart onto paper side of fusible web and cut out. Apply to wrong side of fabric following manufacturer’s instructions. Cut out on template lines.
From gray check:
• Cut 1 (8 x 10-inch) rectangle.
• Cut 4 outer ears, 2 tails (reversing one) and 1 each
body back and base.
- 111530_2F2015-10-16-104255-SweetKittyPincushion.jpg 96.9 KB [ Download ]
- michael r. commented on Sweet Kitty Pincushion 18 Aug 09:56
- michael r. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 18 Aug 09:55
- Joan W. commented on Sweet Kitty Pincushion 06 Jul 01:23
- Valerie E. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 20 Jan 22:45
- alfaso t. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 06 Dec 10:03
- Diane W. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 02 Dec 23:24
- Theresa K. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 29 Nov 12:13
- Denise C. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 27 Nov 16:01
- Anita F. favorited Sweet Kitty Pincushion 27 Nov 01:40
- Patti E. commented on Sweet Kitty Pincushion 19 Oct 15:58
You Will Need
Refer to Embroidery Necessities on page 2 for stitching tips and the Stitch Guide on page 6. Full- size embroidery design is included on the insert.
1. Using embroidery design provided, draw the cat body outline centered on the right side of the gray check 8 x 10-inch rectangle with a pencil.
2. Use your preferred method to transfer the embroidery design onto the cat body.
3. Embroider the design as follows.
Use 1 strand size 8 pearl cotton to stitch:
Center flower Side flowers Flower centers Whiskers
green stem/outline stitch green lazy daisy stitch dark pink lazy daisy stitch light pink lazy daisy stitch yellow knot
black straight stitch
Use 1 strand size 16 pearl cotton to stitch:
Bee outline Bee eye Bee trail Under nose
black stem/outline stitch black knot
black running stitch black stem/outline stitch
Use 1/4-inch seam allowance and stitch right sides together unless otherwise indicated.
Use black sewing thread to sew the black buttons to the face for eyes referring to the embroidery design for placement.
Use pink sewing thread to sew the pink button to the face for a nose referring to the embroidery design for placement.
Cut the embroidered front out on the tem- plate lines.
Layer fused ears right sides together with remaining outer ears and pin to scraps of batting. Stitch around ears leaving flat bottom edge open.
Trim batting close to seam, clip curves and trim point. Turn right side out and press flat.
Make a tail referring to steps 5 and 6.
Pin body front and back, right sides together, and stitch all around, leaving seam open at straight bottom and between squares on side. Clip the curves. Do not turn right side out.
Mark the center front and back of the body. Pin the body to the base, matching centers to squares on base and side seams to circles.
Stitch body and base together all around. Clip the curves and turn right side out through the body opening.
Tie the ribbon into a bow and trim the ends as desired. Tack the bow to the side of the cat, referring to the sample photo.