Style Me Vintage: Accessories
Removable clips, buckles, rosettes and other adornments have long been used to embellish shoes. This trend died down in the 1980s, but a number of modern makers and creators are resurrecting this idea.
A pair of simple court shoes can be transformed to match any outfit by adding clips. Try these ideas:
• Source a vintage pair of clips.
• Buy newly-made ones (the shoe company Van Dal still produce them) or many Etsy sellers now supply them online.
• Make your own. This can be achieved by purchasing the studded clips and adding any decoration you wish, from pom poms to fans. Glue or sew them on firmly.
• Recycle old brooches or lightweight clip-on earrings with a sturdy clasp.
- Leia B. favorited Shoe Clips 19 Mar 04:37
- Lynn L. favorited Shoe Clips 03 Sep 06:44
- rochelle.c.barton favorited Shoe Clips 26 Jan 20:32
- Meredith T. favorited Shoe Clips 16 Nov 00:05
- stephanie favorited Shoe Clips 15 Nov 02:07
- Emma H. favorited Shoe Clips 15 Nov 00:32
- tiffanybsparks favorited Shoe Clips 14 Nov 18:07
- tiffanybsparks added Shoe Clips to Accessories 14 Nov 18:07
- Anova published her project Shoe Clips 14 Oct 09:49
CARDIGAN AND COLLAR CLIPS
Cardigan or ‘sweater’ clips are a nifty 50s invention for securing your knitwear neatly around your shoulders. They are formed by two clip fastenings, generally quite ornate, linked with a chain. The clips can be attached to the top corners or edges of a cardigan turning the garment into a ‘cape’, meaning the shoulders and back can be covered whilst arms are exposed. This look works particularly well with a pencil skirt and blouse and evokes the elegant style of the 1950s. It’s also a good way to show off armfuls of bangles.
Cardigan clips are my favourite forgotten accessory. They add a touch of unrivalled chic to an outfit and always attract compliments. Original ones are fairly rare these days, but like shoe clips, the lesser- spotted cardigan clip has seen a huge resurgence in popularity, especially amongst the craft crowd. Like shoe clips they can be fashioned using a pair of (strong) clip-on earrings: simply attach a chain between the two and clip on. Other alternatives include using pins, or attaching clips to buttons or bows. For heavier garments, two secure brooches work best. Smaller versions can also be attached to collars to be worn instead of a necklace. This last look can also be achieved by stitching buttons to your collar, as demonstrated in the picture here, or by attaching metal collar tips.