Because this is just more fun!
I couldn't really afford Christmas ornaments this year so I decided to make my own. My oven didn't work so instead of baking these I let them dry naturally. No pictures for this tutorial, sorry!
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 20 Jul 22:52
- Rebecca M. favorited Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 28 Jun 18:56
- anita.n.g added Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments to Xmas jazz 29 Nov 10:02
- amanda l. favorited Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 06 Nov 23:54
- Penny F. added Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments to TO MAKE! 16 Jan 17:08
- Juanita C. replied to a comment on Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 24 Dec 15:58
- Juanita C. favorited Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 24 Dec 15:58
- Mochi Mochi commented on Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 24 Dec 00:11
- Mochi Mochi favorited Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments 24 Dec 00:07
- Amocacushi entered her project Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments to Secret Santa 23 Dec 23:38
Mix your flour, salt and water until you get a dough like consistency. Add more flour or water as you feel needed until it is neither overly dry and sticky.
Depending on the color you want your ornaments to be mix in food coloring slowly. Or you can leave it the natural color it is.
The chart on the left is very helpful, each number represents the number of drops.
Knead the food coloring into the dough until it is consistently one color.
Add more drops until it is the color you want.
Lightly flour your workspace before rolling out the dough. Flour the rolling pin as well to prevent sticking.
Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4" thick.
Cut out your desired shapes with the cookie cutters. Or you can press your hand into the dough for the Santa ornaments.
Take a toothpick and poke a hole at the top through each of your ornaments. This will be used to hang them.
Let your ornaments dry, preferably somewhere such as a windowsill. This process takes about 3-4 days to complete.
When the ornaments are dry and ready decorate them as you'd like =). I used sharpies, glitter glue, rhinestones and ribbon for mine.
Don't forget to tie a string through the hole for hanging.