just enough bite, just enough give, just enough sweetness and just enough mint
These Peppermint Meringues have just enough bite, just enough give, just enough sweetness and just enough mint to remind me of those gorgeous mints of my childhood. In turn, that minty feeling works to negate the blinding reality of being an adult with a retirement plan, because that just makes me feel like a big weirdo. No offense to those who have, or want, weirdo retirement plans. I mean no harm.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
- mmotse03 favorited Peppermint Meringues 03 Nov 18:30
- Kate L. added Peppermint Meringues to Sweets 29 May 13:12
- jooahl added Peppermint Meringues to Try 23 Jan 02:39
- thatdorkychick favorited Peppermint Meringues 19 Nov 18:08
- BlauPiepmatz favorited Peppermint Meringues 20 Aug 20:58
- Krystal K. favorited Peppermint Meringues 04 Jul 15:52
Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; secure corners with masking tape. Fit a pastry bag with a small open-star tip (such as Ateco #22). Set aside.
Make meringues: Put egg whites and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water, and stir gently until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer bowl to an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Mix in peppermint extract.
Using a new small paintbrush, paint 2 or 3 stripes of red food coloring inside the pastry bag. Fill bag with 1 to 2 cups meringue. Pipe small (3/4-inch-high) star shapes onto prepared baking sheets. Refill bag as necessary, adding food coloring each time.