a hale, hearty and healthy soup perfect for cold days
Kale, Eggplant & Lentil Soup
total time: 45 minutes
total hands on time: 15-20 minutes
What you'll need:
1 cup dried lentils
1 small onion, diced
2 tsps fresh chopped garlic
1/2 of an eggplant, diced (skin on)
3 cups raw kale, torn or cut into small pieces
1/4 cup of white wine
at least a tsp of dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 qts broth
salt and pepper
1. Put the lentils in a saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Rinse the lentils in a colander and set aside.
2. Dice the onion and saute on medium-high in olive oil until soft and translucent, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.
3. Next, add the chopped eggplant, a dash of salt and a good amount of dried basil and stir well. Saute for another few minutes, adding more olive oil if neccessary.
4. Pour in the white wine and cook until liquid is reduced.
5. Add the lentils, broth and bay leaf and cook on medium-low for 15-20 minutes. The liquid should have a good simmer, but never come to a complete boil
6. Toss in the kale and cook until it's very well-wilted. You might also add in some additional seasonings here; I did a little bit of a Mediterraean herb blend.