Feasting With Bompas & Parr
There was a dark moment when AnOther magazine asked us to make a cake designed by Lanvin. It had to be big enough so someone could jump out of it before the whole lot exploded. This presents problems in terms of structure, scale of endeavour and stability of ingredients. We realized we’d need a recipe that was simple to make and would last out on display for a couple weeks before being destroyed in a mesmerizing explosion. Meringues held the key.
The recipe makes enough meringues for 33,000 people and uses a quarter of a tonne (250 kg) of caster (superfine) sugar and the same amount of icing (confectioners’) sugar! We like to sex up the meringues by serving them with whipped double (heavy) cream flavoured with liqueur de violet.
Makes enough for
8,333 large egg whites
250,000 g/8818 oz/125 cups caster (superfine) sugar
250,000 g/8818 oz/217 cups icing (confectioners’) sugar
If making for 20 use:
5 large egg whites
150 g/5 oz/3/4 cup caster sugar
150 g/5 oz/scant 11/3 cups icing sugar
- Vicky C. favorited Lanvin Meringues 27 Aug 05:58
- Sunnie favorited Lanvin Meringues 26 Feb 03:52
- Rima A. added Lanvin Meringues to Sweets to try 27 Oct 15:55
- Rima A. favorited Lanvin Meringues 27 Oct 15:55
- enkha b. added Lanvin Meringues to food 28 Jul 22:55
- dalekordancer favorited Lanvin Meringues 08 Jun 07:04
- Shelby S. favorited Lanvin Meringues 02 Jun 01:58
- karmy_2683 favorited Lanvin Meringues 15 May 08:05
- kim k. favorited Lanvin Meringues 28 Mar 07:29
- Gone Neko favorited Lanvin Meringues 24 Mar 23:29
Preheat the oven 110°C/225°F/Gas Mark 1/4 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Beat the whites to stiff peak at a medium speed before racking up the speed and adding the caster (superfine) sugar, a spoonful at a time. If you add the sugar slowly (3–4 second-intervals) your meringue will be triumphant but beware not to overbeat.
Sift and fold the icing (confectioners’) sugar into the mixture, a third at a time, using a spoon or spatula. Don’t overbeat. When the mixture is smooth and billowy you are ready to bake.
Portion onto your parchment-lined baking sheets using a pair of spoons and bake for around 1 1/4 hours. Cool on a wire rack. We like to serve our Lanvin meringues with double (heavy) cream whipped with caster sugar and liqueur de violet to taste, but you can serve however you like.
The Lanvin meringues will keep for a couple weeks.