a casual, colorful dresses to just grab and go
The hip, ombré shaded look is created by simply dipping a white dress into dye solutions of different strengths. Using a blend of Rit Wine and Navy Blue dyes, you could actually say it's... very berry-inspired. OK, so I'm no poet but it will be a great dress for all those sun-kissed summer days, don'tcha think? I added a bit of an quasi-East Indian accent with a fabric marker around the neckline to give it even more of an exotic, serene vibe. Yup, I'm liking it!
1. Prewash dress to remove any finishes that may prevent absorption of dyes.
2. Cover table with plastic tablecloth.
3. Prepare Dyes for Dip-Dyeing Top of Dress (Wear Rubber Gloves)
Dark Dye Solution: Shake, measure and mix 2 Teaspoons Wine dye with 2 Cups very Hot water. Stir well. Pour into plastic container.
Weak Dye Solution: Shake, measure and mix 2 Teaspoons prepared Dark Dye Solution with 2 Cups very Hot water. Stir well. Pour into plastic container.
Note: If tap water is not hot enough, heat water in microwave or tea kettle.
4. Dip dress in warm water; squeeze out excess water. Gather up dress vertically and dip top two-thirds of dress in Weak Dye Solution. Then remove and squeeze out excess dye. Then dip top one-third of dress in Dark Dye Solution. Remove and squeeze out excess dye.
5. Prepare Dyes for Dip-Dyeing Bottom of Dress (Wear Rubber Gloves)
Shake, measure and mix:
2 T. Wine dye with 2 Cups very Hot Water; stir well. Pour into one plastic container.
1 T. Navy Blue dye with 2 Cups very Hot Water; stir well. Pour into another plastic container.
6. Wet bottom half of dress in warm water. Do not squeeze out excess water. Dip bottom third of dress in Wine dye solution, lifting and lowering dress so dye migrates upward. Remove dress and dip bottom edge (3 – 4”) of dress in Navy Blue dye. Remove and squeeze out excess dye.
7. Rinse dress in cool water until water runs clear. Wash in warm water with mild detergent, rinse and dry. Iron dress
8. Insert parchment paper inside top third of dress. Sketch out the placement of swirled design around the neckline with chalk pencil, beginning at the center and working up toward the shoulder seams.
9. Place dress on a padded board or ironing board. Following chalk line, draw swirls or any fun designs all around the neckline with a Wine-colored Fabric Marker.