Top tips for oil painting with Cass Art, London
- Mistress Nora of Madness favorited Get Started With Oil Painting 29 Sep 22:48
- Katrina P. favorited Get Started With Oil Painting 05 Jul 03:39
- Vicious Delicious commented on Get Started With Oil Painting 23 Mar 09:20
- Chudames favorited Get Started With Oil Painting 21 Mar 00:54
- Shop Showcase published her project Get Started With Oil Painting 20 Mar 06:00
Always follow the “slow over fast rule” when oil painting. This means you must make sure the last layer of paint will dry quicker than the following layer, to prevent the paint from cracking. Try mixing your oil colours with a palette knife instead of a brush; this will stop your brushes from clogging with paint and will also give you a cleaner application of colour.
Use hog brushes because they are durable so can withstand the use of solvents. You can use a medium or oil to mix with your oil paint, to adapt the consistency, drying time and finish of your painting. The Winsor & Newton Artists’ Painting Medium is a good all-rounder, and Refined Linseed Oil and Liquin are great for beginners; the first will slow the drying time, whilst the latter will speed it up.