Romantic... and this stuff! 1st project after break!
Long time now see!! But finally I´m back with a new project! I had some kind of phase where i wasn´t in the mood for much sewing but for reading... but a few weeks ago I found this fabric and got started. It took me a while as I´m only staying in my apartment at weekends so basically I don´t have much time for sewing which is sad now that i want to sew but I´m really happy that I found a new job back in august that I accept this situation for some time...
Well, back to the skirt! I found the fabric in the attic of my aunt/former attic of my grandmother and took it with me because I thought I would need it sometimes. Now was the time, I really like these kind of shape for skirts and even the stores are full of so-called "vintage" flowerprint stuff, I´m quite content of it ;)
It´s basically an A-line or slightly flared high-waist skirt with a concealed zipper and hook&eye closure at the back. At front there are four darts, two of them are connected with a bow. The edges of the skirt are finished with matching piping.
All in all, a cheap project as the fabric was for free, a zipper isn´t that expensive, same for a set of hook&eyes.
- RareJewel favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 02 Mar 11:36
- Rebecca C. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 14 Aug 00:16
- Rachel B. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 29 Nov 07:36
- Kristi B. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 22 Sep 21:04
- Erin C. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 09 May 04:55
- Pimke added Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail to Nähmuster 03 Mar 14:24
- Amalie added Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail to Clothes 19 Feb 21:32
- teagan R. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 30 Nov 18:52
- Jessica N. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 08 Sep 17:34
- Rose K. favorited Flower High Waist Skirt W/ Bow Detail 22 Aug 02:49
Get a basic skirt pattern and draw in the new high-waist line: go parallel at centre front and back (my additional height is 5cm)and reduce the height for -1cm (to 4cm) at side seams. don´t forget to mirror the darts and hip curve and control the width.
As I wanted to have an A-line or flared skirt, I added width to the skirt: divide the hip line by 3 at each front and back and draw a vertical line at 1/3 from centre front/back, move the dart over there. Add some width to the hem (I added 5cm) and add 1/2 of the width you added at the line at side seam(2,5cm). The dart will decrease. You can always go with a straight or fitted skirt, as you like.
I wanted to have two darts at front, I divided the width of the remaining front dart by two and arranged them at the frontal side area.
Decide at wich height you want to have the bow and measure the distance between the darts at this height, decide how wide the actual bow should be, double it and add to the distance you measured. Decide how long the bow should be and double this measurement.
sew the darts normally except for the two containing the bow.
sew the side seams.
Take the bias tape and fold in half lengthwise.
sew the piping/folded bias tape all around the upper edge of the skirt, finish the raw edge with a serger and topstitch from the right side.
Repeat for the hem, but sew the piping to a ring before sewing the piping to the skirt.