This top is pretty much a simple as sewing gets!
Make a really easy top from lightweight jersey fabric. Just a couple of seams, it really doesn't get much easier than this!
- Tamara D. added Easy To Sew Top to Sew Tops 03 Sep 21:38
- Naomi D. favorited Easy To Sew Top 03 Jan 06:38
- Dawn P. favorited Easy To Sew Top 07 Sep 10:26
- TheSewingMaven favorited Easy To Sew Top 22 Aug 22:03
- Aishwarya Purohit favorited Easy To Sew Top 09 Jul 05:28
- Keila M. favorited Easy To Sew Top 08 Apr 02:58
- C T. added Easy To Sew Top to Clothes! x 05 Apr 00:35
- sara d. favorited Easy To Sew Top 25 Mar 21:11
- Muhaiminah Faiz added Easy To Sew Top to Selena Gomez Outfit (wizards of waverly place) 19 Mar 15:01
- christina c. favorited Easy To Sew Top 10 Dec 01:28
I had some left over jersey fabric, a long strip 248cm x 36cm (98" x 11"). It was a bit of an awkward size piece but enough to make a top.I cut the fabric in half so I had 2 lengths both 124cm. This is how I decided the length of my top. If the fabric had been longer I think I would have made the top a little longer too. I would also have matched the pattern, but there just wasn't enough fabric to do that this time.
If you want to make a simple top like this, this is what you do:
Fold your first piece in half (so it's 62cm x 36cm, doubled up with the fold at the top) and pin along the right side leaving a 18cm gap at the top folded edge. This will be the arm hole.
Do the same for the other piece but this time pin the left side.
I did all this pinning with safety pins. That way I could try it on and adjust the size of the arm & neck holes before I stitch and I wouldn't stab myself with a bunch of pins.
Then take the unpinned edges and, right sides together, pin the font and back seams. (again with safety pins if you want to try it on first)
Leave a gap 20cm from the top, this will be the hole for your neck. If you want the neck lower, just leave a longer gap. I really recommend doing all this with safety pins and trying it on. You want to make sure your head fits through!