Hand embroidered heart
This heart decoration is 14cm tall and is embroidered using backstitch only.
The design I used was a combination of different images I had seen and was hand drawn on to the fabric before sewing along the lines with pretty coloured embroidery threads. The heart is made from a medium weight calico fabric.
- 102574_2F2014-06-13-144140-Heart+Shape+Pattern.pdf 109 KB [ Download ]
- Key West Witch favorited Embroidered Hanging Heart Decoration 07 May 18:31
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Embroidered Hanging Heart Decoration 19 Jul 06:14
- erin f. favorited Embroidered Hanging Heart Decoration 14 Jun 08:31
- Caz entered her project Embroidered Hanging Heart Decoration to UncommonGoods 13 Jun 15:24
- Caz published her project Embroidered Hanging Heart Decoration 13 Jun 14:35
Using the heart pattern in the attached PDF, cut out two heart shapes from the calico fabric.
Draw your chosen design very lightly in pencil directly onto one of the heart pieces. This will be the front of your heart.
Using embroidery floss begin to follow the pencil lines using a backstitch.
When you have completed your embroidery design pin the two heart pieces right sides together (the front of your embroidery design should be inside when you begin sewing your hearts together).
Sew the heart pieces together leaving a 1cm seam allowance as shown on the pattern. Using the heart pattern as a guide, begin sewing at the top section of the heart and stop when you reach the other side, leaving a gap for turning and stuffing.
Turn the heart inside out so that your embroidered design is now on the outside. Tearing up the stuffing into small pieces begin stuffing your heart a little at a time.
Fold the ribbon in half and insert the ends of the ribbon into the centre of the opening. Making sure the edges of the fabric are folded inwards sew the opening closed using the white thread.