Give a sweater a whole new look by dip-dyeing it
Lately I’ve been seeing such pretty dip-dyed sweaters and skirts that I knew I had to give dip-dyeing a try. So I hunted down a thrift-store sweater and some dye and got to work. Follow my instructions to get a gradient/ombré look.
- Xfluffy_unitatoX favorited Dip Dye Sweater 17 Nov 01:44
- mmotse03 favorited Dip Dye Sweater 13 May 03:13
- Dianna Reed added Dip Dye Sweater to Been there done that! 29 Aug 10:32
- Dianna Reed commented on Dip Dye Sweater 29 Aug 10:31
- Tehri G. favorited Dip Dye Sweater 03 Aug 05:43
- Karen D. favorited Dip Dye Sweater 02 Jun 14:42
- Mrs. Catwing favorited Dip Dye Sweater 19 Feb 18:34
- nigrummonten favorited Dip Dye Sweater 04 Feb 03:12
- Rosana favorited Dip Dye Sweater 19 Jan 11:50
- cristinakilljoyway favorited Dip Dye Sweater 30 Dec 20:19
You’ll want to follow the instructions on your specific dye, but if you’re using powdered RIT dye on a 100% cotton sweater in addition to the dye start with salt, detergent, measuring devices, and a large container wide enough for the sweater. Fill the container with steaming hot water.
For one packet of dye, add a cup of salt and a tablespoon of detergent to the water and stir well. Fill up a large bowl or measuring cup with 2 cups of very hot water and add the dye. Stir to dissolve.
Pin the sleeves to the side of the sweater and clip your sweater upside down on a hanger, then wet it thoroughly with with hot water. Varying the time depending on how dark you want the first layer of color, quickly dip the whole sweater into the dye bath. (You’ll notice that my sweater is sagging in the middle. Either hold up the center with your hand when you dip it, or affix it to the hanger with more clips so that you get straight lines of color.)
Add another 1/2 cup of dye, stir and dip again, submerging only about 3/4 of the sweater this time.
Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of dye, stirring, and dipping approximately 1/3 and then 1/6 of the sweater. You’ll probably want to leave the sweater in the dye for a minute or so each time.