A pretzel crust, filled with rich ganache and smooth caramel.
Don't be scared off by the time this recipe takes! Most of it is downtime while parts of the tart sit in the oven or the refrigerator!
- Emma H. favorited Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart 26 Apr 23:35
- Sal M. added Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart to Food 26 Apr 21:49
- Sal M. favorited Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart 26 Apr 21:49
- Angela favorited Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart 09 Feb 21:36
- Shantelle t. added Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart to food!! 08 Dec 15:17
- Devious_Insightful_Pixie favorited Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart 21 Apr 23:46
- Katrin G. added Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart to yummi 04 Apr 23:24
- Millie H. added Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart to Dessert 26 Mar 13:54
- craftgirl14 favorited Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart 24 Mar 17:28
- Dead Kiss favorited Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Tart 21 Mar 04:45
You Will Need
Crust: In a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter with 3/4 cup of the pretzels and the confectioners’ sugar at low speed until creamy. Beat in the flour and egg. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of pretzels, being sure to leave some pretzel pieces intact. Flatten the dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (dough will be very sticky) and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Roll out the dough between the sheets of plastic wrap to a 12-inch round. Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough over a 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the corners and patch any tears by trimming the overhanging dough and pressing it into holes. Refrigerate the shell for 30 minutes or until firm.
Line the shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake for about 30 minutes, until nearly set. Remove the parchment and weights and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, until the tart shell is firm; cover the edge with foil if it darkens too much. Let the shell cool completely. Brush the melted chocolate over the bottom and up the side and refrigerate for 10 minutes, until set.
Ganache: Meanwhile, place chocolate in a heat safe bowl. Bring cream to boil in heavy small saucepan. Pour over chocolate and let sit for 1 minute and then whisk until smooth. Spread 1 cup chocolate filling in prepared crust. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes. Reserve remaining filling in saucepan.
Caramel: Stir sugar and 1/3 cup water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until syrup is amber color, brushing down sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cream, butter, vanilla and salt (mixture will bubble up). Return pan to very low heat; stir until caramel is smooth and color deepens, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate uncovered until cold but not firm, about 10-20 minutes.
Spoon caramel over ganache, leveling with a spatula. Sprinkle 1/4 cup crushed pretzels over caramel. Pipe of drizzle reserved chocolate filling decoratively over caramel and pretzels (if chocolate is too firm to pour, warm slightly over low heat). Refrigerate tart until caramel is firm, at least 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover keep chilled.)