101 Saturday Morning Projects
Build shallow shelves to fit behind the door in your laundry room, utility room or pantry.
The space behind a door is another storage spot that’s often overlooked. Build a set of shallow shelves and mount it to the wall. The materials cost about $40.
- Kinhime Dragon favorited Behind The Door Shelves 13 Sep 13:22
- Ronald T. commented on Behind The Door Shelves 10 Sep 07:55
- Ronald T. favorited Behind The Door Shelves 10 Sep 07:54
- Crafterella featured Behind The Door Shelves 05 Sep 23:00
- Elentine added Behind The Door Shelves to Home ideas 04 Sep 21:26
- Elentine favorited Behind The Door Shelves 04 Sep 21:26
- Thunder Bay Press published his project Behind The Door Shelves 28 Aug 09:00
Measure the distance between the door hinge and the wall and subtract 1 in. This is the maxi- mum depth of the shelves. This project uses 1x4s for the sides, top and shelves. Screw the sides to the top. Then screw three 1x2 hanging strips to the sides: one top and bottom and one cen- tered. Nail metal shelf standards to the sides. Complete the shelves by nailing a 1x2 trim piece to the sides and top. The 1x2 dresses up the shelf unit and keeps the shelves from falling off the shelf clips.
Locate the studs. Drill clearance holes and screw the shelves to the studs with 2-1/2-in. wood screws. Put a rubber bumper on the frame to protect the door.