Backless scarf top with chain ties
This is an edgier version of the ribbon-tied backless top on page 38 and would
be great for a night out dancing or with a pair of cut-off jeans. The idea with this top is that the chain straps are attached, doubled up, and then hooked over the buttons at the back of the top to secure. You can buy chain from a craft store; alternatively, pick up a couple of necklaces from a thrift store and bling it right up! You don’t have to have the chain really tight across your back; in fact, having a little slack allows for more freedom of movement.
Why not criss-cross the chain at the back? You will need to allow more chain for this and to stitch buttons to the top, center, and bottom point of each side.
- jemima d. favorited Backless Scarf Top 07 Jun 22:49
- Pimke added Backless Scarf Top to Upcycling 14 Mar 11:31
- Hydie Linn T. favorited Backless Scarf Top 11 Sep 23:59
- Shelly S. added Backless Scarf Top to refashion 05 Aug 03:30
- Shelly S. favorited Backless Scarf Top 05 Aug 03:28
- Kylie F. favorited Backless Scarf Top 25 Jun 18:46
- Kylee-Rhiannon F. favorited Backless Scarf Top 07 May 21:00
- Mary J. favorited Backless Scarf Top 23 Mar 20:53
- C.Rami favorited Backless Scarf Top 12 Dec 02:18
- cindy d. favorited Backless Scarf Top 15 Sep 17:28
Lay the scarf right side down on your work surface. Using tailor’s chalk or a pin, mark the top, center, and bottom points of opposite sides. Using buttonhole thread, which is stronger and thicker than normal sewing thread, stitch a button to the top and bottom points on one side and to the center point on the other side.
Put the top on by holding your scarf at the front. Ask a friend to hook each length of chain over the corresponding button, take it back across to the starting point, and mark where the chain will end with a safety pin. Check in a mirror to make sure that you are happy with the look before you cut the chain.