From an original painting to an abstract portrait.
For school I had to make an 'abstract' piece of art. That was the assignment. It could be any kind of artwork but I decided to make a painting. I will show you the process but first a little bit of information about De Stijl.
De Stijl (The Style) is a Dutch artistic movement founded in 1917. Members were Theo van Doesburg, Piet Mondriaan (my hero), Vilmos Huszár, Bart van der Leck, J.J.P Oud, Jan Wils, Robert van 't Hoff, Gerrit Rietveld (amazing man) and Georges Vantongerloo. They wanted to change art. That's why they only used primary colours; red yellow and blue in combination with white, grey and black.
More information on wikipedia.
- Irene Wildfox added Abstract De Stijl Portrait to Art 09 Jun 12:41
- Irene Wildfox favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 09 Jun 12:40
- Lihi B. favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 02 May 20:41
- Plan B entered her project Abstract De Stijl Portrait to Pogo Connect 29 Apr 17:40
- szilviamiklos favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 20 Aug 10:58
- Lipstick L. favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 21 Jul 14:49
- gloomy-smiles favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 30 Jun 02:31
- greenstyle favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 28 Jun 02:49
- Saar O. favorited Abstract De Stijl Portrait 27 Jun 19:14
First paint your canvas white. It already is white but it's better to cover it anyway.
Then you draw the picture on the canvas. You can make a grid first but make sure you erase the lines because you need lots of paint to cover them. You might not see the lines on the picture but I can see them on the painting!
Sign it, it's your work now and you finished your abstract portrait. I think there is something wrong with it but I still really like it. I got a 9.5/10 so my teacher liked it too. Of course you can use any picture but what I really like about this one is that you still recognize 'The Girl With The Pearl Earring' even though she doesn't have a pearl.