The New Chicago Diner Cookbook
Yield: 12 Burgers
Making your own black bean burger at home is easy, rewarding, and fun—not to mention healthier and less costly! This recipe is protein packed with both black beans and the ancient seed quinoa. It has a little kick to it, too, so it’s perfect for bringing on the heat!
© 2020 Jo A. Kaucher / Agate Publishing · Reproduced with permission.
- VeganSprinkles added Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers to Vegan Easter 25 Feb 04:08
- SugarNSpiceLily added Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers to Gluten Free 10 Feb 01:35
- Alecia B. favorited Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers 22 Sep 02:27
- heather r. added Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers to Food Items to make 22 May 18:10
- Elin H. favorited Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers 01 May 20:02
- KelliDroze added Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers to Food 29 Apr 05:15
- Tara Rees favorited Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers 28 Apr 10:53
- Agate Publishing published her project Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers 11 Mar 09:51
You Will Need
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, and sundried tomatoes and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onion and peppers start to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more, until the onion is translucent and the garlic is browning.
Add the tomato paste to the skillet, using a whisk to thin it out.
Add 3 cups (516 g) of the black beans and the water, egg replacer, cumin, onion powder, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Stir or whisk vigorously until everything is combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Transfer the mixture in the skillet, along with 11/4 cups (231 g) of the quinoa, to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal “S” blade and process until the mixture has the consistency of a paste.
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Using your clean hands, toss the remaining 1 cup (172 g) black beans and the 1/4 cup (46 g) quinoa with the paste.
Form the mixture into a series of 2-inch (5-cm) balls. Flatten them a bit into patties. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the patties for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Assemble on a platter, garnished with the vegan mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Serve warm.
Cooks’ Note: You can make a bunch of these at once and store them in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 3 months.