Lovely summer dress - Skater style :)
I saw these sort of dresses in the shops recently and decided to try to make one for myself :)
I bought this piece of purple marl jersey fabric off ebay for just £2.75
and when it arrived I thought it was perfect to make this dress.
- Lydia D. favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 06 Sep 04:00
- Eva P. added Purple Summer Skater Dress to Clothes 16 Aug 11:56
- Susan S. favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 08 Aug 14:12
- Cris Figue favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 02 Aug 16:20
- lidewei d. added Purple Summer Skater Dress to dress 13 Jul 08:19
- Roughwaters44 favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 06 Jul 08:34
- Sayaka Y. favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 23 Jun 21:01
- evangelinepandima favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 15 Jun 09:54
- Amanda S. favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 11 May 18:18
- Elin H. favorited Purple Summer Skater Dress 30 Mar 15:41
1. Cut the "skirt" piece.
I measured 19" down - I am very short ;)
The length of the piece was about 1.5 meters, but it just depends how gathered you want it to be.
2. Cut the "top" piece.
Grab the left over fabric and a t-shirt. Roughly draw around the t-shirt, missing out the sleeves.
You will need to draw around the front - sketching out a neckline and then sketch out the back of the t-shirt.
Then cut the 2 "top" pieces out.
Using one of the "top" pieces, draw a "sleeve" from the arm hole. Make the sleeve a little longer so you can fold the edge over later on.
Cut out 4 of these "sleeve" pieces
4. You should now have something like this cut out.
1x front 1x back 4x sleeves
1x skirt piece
5. Sew the sleeves
With the wrong side together, pin the sleeve as shown. Repeat with other sleeve. Sew.
6. Sew the "top"
With the wrong sides together, pin the "top" pieces as shown. Sew.
7. Attach the sleeves
With the top inside out, pin the sleeves onto the armholes. The sleeve should be placed inside the top, with the sleeve edge and armhole edge pinned together.
Make sure to align the seams when pinning. Sew.
8. You should now have something that looks like this :)
9. Gather the skirt
I hand stitched the gathering on mine, but you can do it by machine. Try to even out the gathers and pin onto the top.
10. Attach skirt to top
Sew the gathered skirt onto the top keeping the gathers even as you go along.
Turn right side out and you should have something like this.
11. Sew back seam
Pin the back seam of the skirt together and sew.
Turn inside out and iron over the bottom of the skirt and pin. Sew.
Iron the edge of the neckline over in the same way. Sew.
13. Folding sleeves up.
Fold the sleeves up, iron and pin. Sew across just the top and the bottom of the sleeve to keep folded.
14. Make the waist drawstring
Fold over the edge of a piece of left over fabric. Sew as close to the edge as possible. Cut the left over fabric as close to the sewed edge as possible
Sew the ends down and iron.
15. Finished! :)
Try on the dress and tie the drawstring around you waist.