A lacy knit slouch hat inspired by a vintage pattern.
This is my "re-imagining" of a vintage pillow pattern. I found the original pattern in a 1977 Better Homes & Gardens Crochet & Knitting book. I really loved the lacy look of the pillow, so I read on and figured out the stitch pattern. The pillows were made flat and I wanted to make a slouchy hat in the round, so I did a little tweaking. I left out a round of garter from the original pattern because I wanted the lace to look fluid and not broken up.
I generally start my slouchy hats at 80 and increase to 120 after ribbing. Luckily for me, the stitch pattern was worked on a multiple of 8 stitches, so it fit perfectly!
Pom-pom is optional!
- ZombieUnicorn favorited Nell Hat 14 Jan 22:41
- Elin H. favorited Nell Hat 04 Jul 18:01
- Pamela F. favorited Nell Hat 07 Dec 22:56
- Sabrina Dee Berry favorited Nell Hat 11 Apr 07:41
- Bowtiesandfezzes favorited Nell Hat 03 Feb 01:19
- kristian.roberts.12 added Nell Hat to To Do 01 Jan 02:44
- Bella Trix commented on Nell Hat 08 Nov 20:53
- Bella Trix favorited Nell Hat 05 Nov 12:47
- Natalie W. favorited Nell Hat 17 Oct 04:51
- gloomy-smiles favorited Nell Hat 06 Oct 08:15
Using larger needle, *K 2, m1; repeat from * to end. (120 stitches).<BR>
Knit the lace stitch pattern (below) four times. Knit rounds 1 through 4.<BR>
[Lace Stitch Pattern-over 8 stitches]
<b>Round 1:</b> *K 1, (yo, SSK) three times, K 1; repeat from *.
<b>Round 2 & all even rounds:</b> Knit.
<b>Round 3:</b> *K 2, (yo SSK) two times, K 2; repeat from *.
<b>Round 5:</b> *K 3, yo, SSK, K 3; repeat from *.
<b>Round 7:</b> same as Round 3.
<b>Round 9:</b> same as Round 1.
<b>Round 10:</b> knit
[Switch to DPNs when necessary.]
<b>Round 5:</b> *K 3, SSK, K 3; repeat from * around. (105 stitches)
<b>Round 6:</b> K 3, *SSK, K 5; repeat from * to last two stitches, K 2. (90 stitches)
<b>Round 7:</b> K 3, *SSK, K 4; repeat from * to last stitch, K 1. (75 stitches)
<b>Round 8:</b> *K 3, SSK; repeat from * around. Remove marker, K 3, replace marker. (60 stitches)
<b>Round 9:</b> *SSK, K 2; repeat from * around. (45 stitches)
<b>Round 10:</b> *SSK, K 1; repeat from * around. (30 stitches)
<b>Round 11:</b> SSK around. (15 stitches)
<b>Round 12:</b> Knit. Cut yarn leaving 10” tail. Use tapestry needle to finish off and weave in end.