For the basic form I cut a piece from a whiskey bottle carton.
Around the carton I attached a piece of stiff nettle cloth on which further layers of cloth can be fixed on.
Next was a layer of the cloth I used for my dress so the sailor hat will really match it.
The two ribbons are stitched to the upper inside of the ring covering the back seam of the face fabric.
Next I cut 2 circles from the face fabric, 2 from the stiff nettle and 2 from some white scrim.
I ironed the layers together with some iron-on vliesofix, the nettle in the middle to get a properly stiff flat top.
Then I cut a circle out of the middle of one of the two resulting circles, about 5mm smaller than the radius of the basic ring and sewed the two circles together, ironing them once again.
VoilÃ , a properly stiff, flat hat top.
After handstitching the top to the ring I attached a band across the open side of the ring so I can fasten the hat to the hair with some hairpins.
After that I stitched some bias band matching the decoration of my dress around the bottom edge of the hat.
For the ball I additionally bought some feathers in matching colours to tuck them into my hair.