quite simple and the idea is easy to adapt
So a tidy desk indicates a tidy mind, does it? I’m not sure I agree – I like my desk messy! But this wall tidy could definitely persuade me to make a place for everything. I’ve suggested a fruit ’n’ veg theme as it makes a great way to store the endless bits of paper that clutter up the kitchen, from utility bills to the ‘I’ll make it one day’ recipe cuttings.
Again this project looks like it took loads of work and bucketfuls of skill, but it is really quite simple and the idea is easy to adapt. It would make a great addition to a child’s bedroom, and you could use nursery rhymes as your appliqué theme.
From the book Free & Easy Stitch Style by Poppy Treffry. Read our review here.
© 2016 Poppy Treffry / David & Charles · Reproduced with permission.
- Julie K. favorited Whimsical Wall Tidy 27 Oct 10:20
- Cristina M. added Whimsical Wall Tidy to Baby! 10 Oct 12:10
- silentband favorited Whimsical Wall Tidy 05 Aug 14:24
- Creative F. added Whimsical Wall Tidy to Ill try 04 Aug 00:03
- Creative F. favorited Whimsical Wall Tidy 04 Aug 00:03
- Ella Light added Whimsical Wall Tidy to Organisation 04 Apr 13:41
- Miss_Fit added Whimsical Wall Tidy to Stands 30 Mar 01:18
- HylianWriter534 added Whimsical Wall Tidy to Make Later 08 Mar 05:57
- Abby R. favorited Whimsical Wall Tidy 12 Feb 19:11
- thelittlevampirebat added Whimsical Wall Tidy to bags 08 Feb 18:11
You Will Need
Trim all the pieces of fabric for the wall tidy, its backing, six pockets and their linings. Cut the tape into three 15cm (6in) lengths ready to make hanging loops.
Cut out the fabric pieces for your chosen appliqué design, choosing the fruit and vegetable templates from page 125 or making your own up. Sew the appliqué in place by outlining the shapes onto the squares of fabric for the pockets (see pages 14–15). You could add ribs to the banana and any other detailing you think makes the objects look more charming. When the appliqué is finished, trim the threads and press each pocket piece.
TIP: When choosing your appliqué design, think about what your wall tidy will be used for. It could be an ABC tidy for your child’s bedroom or a handy kitchen tidy. Make up your own designs to suit your purpose.
Sew each pocket front to its lining in the same way as you did for the main tidy, remembering to leave an opening for turning. Turn right sides out. Press them flat. You can sew the openings closed when you sew the pockets on to the tidy.