Here is the outside of the needle roll. This is a silk embroidered decorator fabric I got off the remnant table. It was big enough for a pillow, or lucky for me a needle roll. I cut it 12 X 18 inches.
This is my inside fabric. I cut one piece 12 x 18 inches and the second piece for the pocket is 6 X 18 inches. Because it had an interesting design, I made sure to line up the pattern on the lining with the one on the pocket piece.
I folded the top of the pocket piece over 1/2 inch and pressed, then I folded it again and stitched it down. I used a contrasting thread, but you could use a matching thread.
I then used my needles to mark the pockets stitching lines to custom fit each set of needles...15 sets in all.
I stitched the pocket to the lining and then stitched each pocket. I added a 40 inch ribbon folded in half and stitched it to the side where the biggest needles will go.
I put right sides together with the ribbon sandwiched inside. I stitched the top and sides with a 1/2 inch seam and the bottom with a 1 inch seam leaving a 3 inch opening for turning. Because I wanted the top to taper in, I restitched it starting in 1 inch at the top on the sides and tapering to meet my original stitching.
I trimmed all the seams and turned my needle roll right side out and pressed.
I then top stitched the bottom with matching thread to close the opening.
Here is how it looks with all the needles inside!
Here it is all rolled up and tied with the ribbon!